We look for companies in our portfolios that:
- Develop innovative solutions to global sustainability challenges
- Promote gender, racial, sexual orientation, et al. diversity
- Support community-based financial institutions that promote small businesses, healthcare, education, and housing
- Are actively working to improve ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance) commitments
Sounds cool but....I'm just worried I'll have to eat cat food in retirement.
We get it. You need to know that first, you're going to be ok (however you define it).
Some people think that ESG investing means you have to give up performance but the great news is that ESG portfolios don't necessarily perform worse than traditional investment portfolios.
You know how the fundamentals for a healthy body are eating more vegetables and moving? Investing is very similar.
The fundamentals aren't sexy and don't make for great headlines but they are grounded in evidence over the long term.
- We affiliated with The Wealth Consulting Group (WCG) to add experience and scale as well as a team based approach. This also gets access to more options and competitive pricing.
- WCG's portfolio design starts with appropriate allocation and diversification.
- Next up, are disciplined buy and sell strategies, and risk/reward optimization.
- WCG uses passive and active funds depending on the sector, what is available, and what has a history of performing within each space.
- For non-retirement accounts we look to harvest tax losses or gains for added efficiency.
- WCG adds accountability by sending our portfolios to third parties each quarter for stress testing.
All of this means, there's a team of people scrutinizing and optimizing all portfolio decisions to give you the best opportunity to pursue your goals.
Our favorite ESG strategy is shareholder advocacy. Here are some recent examples of advocacy at work:
- Verizon committed to source 50% of it's annual electricity usage from renewable sources, this is a change from it's previous 4% goal.
- Coca-Cola agreed to decrease it's cumulative use of virgin plastic by 3 million metric tons by 2025 (which is the equivalent of 200,000 plastic bottles per minute)
- After five years of pressure from investors and the broader community, Mondelez, the owner of snack brands including Oreo, Ritz and Cadbury, agreed to zero net waste packaging
Want to learn more?
Grab a copy of Parnassus Investments Stewardship Report 2020 highlighting the approach and impact for the challenging year.
This is amazing, what is it going to cost?
Fees in the investment management world have always been a little hard to follow. We do our best to keep it simple, our fee:
For balances between $50,000 - $1,000,000 we charge 1%
For balances between $1,000,000 - $3,000,000 we charge .75%
For balances above $3,000,000 we charge .50%
Along with our fees stated here, there's also internal expenses of mutual funds and ETFs, transaction costs, and custodial fees. If you include all of these, generally your total portfolio cost will still be at or under 1.50% all in. Transparency is important to us so we will always show you the breakdown for your specific recommendations.
Investment advice offered through WCG Wealth Advisors LLC, a Registered Investment Advisor. Utor Wealth is a separate entity from WCG Wealth Advisors and The Wealth Consulting Group. The return on ESG investments may vary versus if the investor made decisions based solely on investment considerations. Investing involves risk including loss of principal. No strategy assures success or protects against loss. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Asset allocation does not ensure a profit or protect against loss. There is no guarantee that a diversified portfolio will enhance overall returns or outperform a non-diversified portfolio. Diversification does not protect against market risk. WCG-21-0153